[Kamailio-Devel] [Serdev] Git Crash Course For sip-router

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Thu Apr 16 16:18:39 CEST 2009

Here are the attachments mentioned below.

  Jan.

On 16-04 15:54, Jan Janak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a brief git crash course for those who are used to CVS or SVN. The
> purpose of this crash course is to get you started, it describes basic
> operations that you will need to do simple changes in the sip-router git
> repository. You can find links to more documentation at the end.
>
> First of all, you'll need to install git. The name of the corresponding Debian
> package is git-core. Debian Lenny contains version 1.5.6.5 which is
> sufficient.  Newer git versions or packages for other distributions or
> architectures can be obtained from http://git-scm.com/.
>
> As the second step you need to configure the git client. I have attached
> configuration files to this email for your convenience, save files .gitconfig
> and .gitignore in your home directory. File sip-router.org_CA.pem is optional,
> you will only need the file if you plan on accessing the repository over https
> (that's not the case for developers with write access).
>
> Edit file ~/.gitconfig and configure your name and email address there. This
> is the name and email address that will be visible in git commits. Unlike CVS
> or SVN commits, git commits contain full name and email address of the
> commiter, this is the name and email that will be visible in git history. Note
> that the email address to be used in From header of commit logs sent to the
> development mailing list is configured separately on the server (there are
> technical reasons for this). Here is how I configured my name in email address
> in ~/.gitconfig:
>
> [user]
>     name = Jan Janak
>     email = jan at iptel.org
>
> The git configuration file in your home directory sets up a bunch of short
> aliases for most common git commands, so you do not have to type
>
>   $ git checkout
>
> every time you are checking out a branch, you can just type 'git co' instead,
> and if you alias git to 'g' in your ~/.bashrc then it becomes just 'g co'
> which is much more convenient.
>
> Another setting that is particular to our repository is the number of
> characters used for tabs in the git pager. Git uses less as the default pager
> and less is configured to use 8 spaces for tabs by default. We use 4 spaces in
> our sources and thus you might want to re-configure the git pager in your
> ~/.bashrc. The following setting makes the output of 'git diff' and friends
> look prettier:
>
> export GIT_PAGER="less --tabs=4"
>
> Now you can start working with git. The first command that you need to run is
> 'git clone', this is the command that is used to retrieve the sip-router
> repository from the server:
>
>   $ git clone ssh://<username>@git.sip-router.org/sip-router
>
> Replace <username> with your real username. The contents of the repository
> will be stored in 'sip-router' subdirectory of your current working directory.
> [...]
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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-----END CERTIFICATE-----
-------------- next part --------------
[user]
	name = First Last
	email = email at address.com

[format]
	# Add the patch number and the total number of patches in the series to
	# the subject of the patch email if more than one patch is being produced.
	numbered = auto

[alias]
	cp = cherry-pick
	ci = commit
	co = checkout
	f  = fetch
	s = status
	b = branch
	d = diff
	a = add
	l = log

[color]
	branch = auto
	diff = auto
	status = auto

[http]
	# The CA certificate used to verify servers in sip-router.org domain, this
	# is useful if you pull from, for example, https://git.sip-router.org.
	#sslCAInfo = /etc/ssl/certs/sip-router.org_CA.pem

[merge]
	# Include the summary of merged commits into all newly created merge
	# commits. The newly created merge commit will contain a one-line summary
	# of every (well, most) merged commits.
	log = true

	# Show merge statistics after merge.
	stat = true

[branch]
	# When creating a new branch off a remote branch, always set it up to
	# track the remote branch so that we can pull from there.
	autoseupmerge = always

[branch "master"]
	# This is the list of cmdline options that should be added to git-merge
	# when I merge commits into the master branch.
	#
	# First off, the option --no-commit instructs git not to commit the merge
	# by default. This allows me to do some final adjustment to the commit log
	# message before it gets commited. I often use this to add extra info to
	# the merge message or rewrite my local branch names in the commit message
	# to branch names sensible to the casual reader of the git log.
	#
	# Option --no-ff instructs git to always record a merge commit, even if
	# the branch being merged into can be fast-forwarded. This is often the
	# case when you create a short-lived topic branch which tracks master, do
	# some changes on the topic branch and then merge the changes into the
	# master which remained unchanged while you were doing your work on the
	# topic branch. In this case the master branch can be fast-forwarded (that
	# is the tip of the master branch can be updated to point to the tip of
	# the topic branch) and this is what git does by default. With --no-ff
	# option set git creates a real merge commit which records the fact that
	# another branch was merged. I find this easier to understand and read in
	# the log.
	# mergeoptions = --no-commit --no-ff