[Kamailio-Devel] Migration to Git

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Tue Apr 14 15:42:29 CEST 2009

Folks,

Most of you probably know that we have been working on integration of SER and
Kamailio projects. We aim at having one common source tree long term, hoping
that this would allow us share share the workload. The integration work has
been going on in git repositories at http://git.sip-router.org and on the

As of today we have a common core that contains most features available in
both projects, we can compile all SER modules with the new core and most
Kamailio modules. Tomorrow we will migrate both projects to the shared git
repository and further development will continue there.

The URL of the shared repository will be git://git.sip-router.org/sip-router
for read-only access and ssh://<username>@git.sip-router.org/sip-router for
read write access. The repository is also available via HTTP(S) for read-only
access. You can also browse the contents of the repository through the WWW
interface at http://git.sip-router.org

Repository Layout
-----------------
The most important branch in the repository is the branch named 'master'. This
is the equivalent of CVS HEAD and SVN trunk branches. The most up-to-date code
can be found there. This is the branch you need to look at if you want to get
a glimpse of the most recent code. You will also see a number of personal
branches of individual developers, these branches typically contain work in
progress and haven't been merged into the master branch yet.

The biggest difference in the repository layout is that there will be three
directories containing modules. The subdirectory 'modules' will contain
modules that are shared between SER and Kamailio. Initially, this directory
will contain modules that only exist in one of the projects (i.e. there is no
module with conflicting name in the other project), or modules that have
already been merged and provide functionality needed by both project. That
includes modules like carrierroute, tls, tm, db_mysql, db_flatstore,
db_berkeley, db_mysql, and so on.

Directory modules_s will contain original SER modules from the CVS repository,
updated to make tham work with the sip-router core.

Directory modules_k will contain original Kamailio modules from the SVN
repository, modules in this directory will be updated with patches that we
have been keeping in kamailio-3.0 temporary repository now. This temporary
repository will be deleted after the migration.

Write Access
------------
All developers in the table below have write access to branch master. In
addition to that developers have write access to their personal
branches. Personal branches are the branches that start with the username of
the developer followed by a slash and the name of the branch, for example
janakj/kcore. Only user with username janakj has write access to that branch.

Write access to other branches is not permitted by default. This is to make
sure that people do not modify the work in progress of other developers by
mistake. I often create a number of topic branches in my local repository and
synchronize them with the master repository at git.sip-router.org. The write
restriction makes me to put all such branches under janakj/, this make it
clear who owns them. You are free to create as many topic branches as you
wish. Branches are cheap and it is the preferred way of doing non-trivial
changes.

All developers will have write access to newly created release branches, of
course.

Here is a list of people who currently have write access to the git repository:

  Name                     | Username   | Commitlog Email
  -------------------------+------------+----------------------------
  Jan Janak                | janakj     | jan at iptel.org
  Martin Hoffmann          | martinh    | hn at nvnc.de
  Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul  | andrei     | andrei at iptel.org
  Pavel Kasparek           | pavel      | pavel at iptel.org
  Greger V. Teigre         | greger     | greger at teigre.com
  Alfred E. Heggestad      | alfredh    | aeh at db.org
  Gonzalo Javier Sambucaro | sambucaro  | gonzalo at mslc.com.ar
  Ondrej Martinek          | ondra      | ondra at iptel.org
  Bogdan Pintea            | bpintea    | bogdan at iptego.com
  Libor Chocholaty         | liborc     | libor at iptel.org
  Vladimir Marek           | vlada      | vlada at iptel.org
  Di-Shi Sun               | di-shi     | di-shi at transnexus.com
  Hendrik Scholz           | hscholz    | hscholz at raisdorf.net
  Raphael Coeffic          | rco        | rco at iptel.org
  Maxim Sobolev            | sobomax    | sobomax at sippysoft.com
  Jiri Kuthan              | jiri       | jiri at iptel.org
  Miklos Tirpak            | tirpi      | miklos at iptel.org
  Michal Matyska           | mma        | michal.matyska at iptel.org
  Nils Ohlmeier            | calrissian | nils at iptel.org
  Karel Kozlik             | kozlik     | karel at iptel.org
  Dmitry Semyonov          | dsemyonov  | dsemyonov at dins.ru
  Vaclav Kubart            | kubartv    | vaclav.kubart at iptel.org
  Tomas Mandys             | tma0       | tomas.mandys at iptel.org
  Dmitry Isakbayev         | isakdim    | isakdim at gmail.com
  Daniel-Constantin Mierla | daniel     | miconda at gmail.com
  Henning Westerholt       | henning    | henning.westerholt at 1und1.de

If you had write access to either SER or Kamailio repository and you are not
on the list then, please, send us your public ssh key and desired username and
we will give you write access. You can send the key to jan at iptel.org,
andrei at iptel.org, or miconda at gmail.com.

To try whether your write access works, you can clone the repository over ssh:

  $ git clone ssh://<username>@git.sip-router.org/sip-router

If it worked then your ssh key is installed and you should be able to modify
the repository.

   Jan.