[Kamailio-Devel] patches section on tracker

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Tue Sep 16 11:47:18 CEST 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> for me seems a bit unclear the purpose of the Patches section because it
> is a mix between patches for bugs and patches for new features. Wouldn't
> be better to merge this section in the two that have clear purposes? I
> usually miss the bugs reported via Patches section. If someone discovers
> a bug and provides a patch, should go in Bugs anyhow, if it is patch for
> code refactoring or new functionality, Features request seems just right
> for me. Other opinions?

Hi Daniel,

if a bug gets reported, with or without patch, it should go into the bug
sections, as you've said. But i think that patches for code refactoring or
new functionality belongs to the "patches" section, as the feature requests
are more for general ideas for improvement without any existing code. This is
also useful to track some long term goals or general todos.

There will be probably anytime some patches or bugs wrongly sorted into some
other section from the original contributor, but this can be easily moved. If
for some feature requests a patch gets created, this can be also moved.

Having three distinct section has another advantage for me, it allow me to
priorize my work:

1. bugs - highest priority
2. patches - merge if appropriate and useful
3. feature requests - nice to have, lowest priority