[OpenSER-Devel] [RFC] - siptrace change

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Thu May 15 14:10:49 CEST 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> First just to be sure - I'm referring to incoming ACKs due negative
> stateless replies (sl_send_reply). The other ACKs are not affected.
>
> yes, the problem has two sides:
>     - some of us use siptrace to get the traffic for all users (like
> you) - others are using siptrace to get traffic per user (like me) -
> and btw, it is not so complicated to do it ;).

Yes, it is. I have to add a rr param and keep tracing it from the script.
Also I need to encode the user I'm tracing somehow in the record route,
so I can set the avp with the user for in-dialog requests later. If one
wants to use this for legal interception, this is unacceptable as hints
about the user being traced will leak into the SIP messages. If you only
want to trace some calls for debugging purposes, then it can be done but
it is still cumbersome and very "manual".

> Now, just to explain my case:
>
> Let's assume a platform with 1000 online users. These users generates
> 10K of calls per day. So, I will have 10k of auth requests (for
> invite), so 10K of ACK (for to 407).
> So, if I want to trace one or two users on the system, I will end up
> with at least 10K of records fir these ACKs I really do not care.
>
> Maybe, until the filtering is extended for ACK tracing, I suggest a
> short patch to enable/disable stateless ACK tracing via a module
> parameter. This will server the needs of all people, I guess

Make a module param until a better solution is found then. This is fine
with me. Or even better do not log these specific ACKs if global tracing
is not enabled. Then no extra parameter is needed.

> This should be for 1.3.2 - for 1.4 I hope we can come up with a better
> solution.
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Dan Pascu wrote:
> > We use it to trace all traffic, at least on small installations and I
> > wouldn't want to miss those ACKs. I cannot use the per user tracing
> > capability because it is very cumbersome to trace all the requests
> > and replies for a certain user with the current implementation.
> >
> > On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I would like to get your opinion/comments on some siptrace issue.
> >>
> >> In 1.3, a new capability was added in siptrace - to trace the ACK
> >> resulted from sending stateless replies.
> >>
> >> The problem I discovered with this is that it cannot be controlled
> >> by selecting the messages or transactions to be be traced. Usually
> >> you use siptrace to trace only certain transactions / messages -
> >> tracing all traffic is usually not a realistic option.
> >>
> >> So, with the stateless ACK, the siptrace module cannot apply the
> >> selection from script and trace them all, with no filtering at all.
> >> So, if you want to trace a traffic for a single user, all ACK going
> >> through the platform will be traced.
> >>
> >> This reduces the usability of the module and you get a lot of
> >> garbage tracing.
> >>
> >> My suggestion will be to disable stateless ACK tracing until a way
> >> to control/filter it is found. I'm asking this considering the
> >> upcoming 1.3.2 release from tomorrow.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Bogdan

Dan