[OpenSER-Devel] New module and some restructuring

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Wed May 7 11:20:01 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Dan Pascu wrote:
> I have a new module dealing with nat traversal that is in the work and
> testing for the last 6 months.
> [...]
>
> [features and capabilities]

Hi Dan,

sounds really good, and great that you want to contribute this code.

> How I see this progressing from here:
>
> 1. I will commit the nat_traversal module as soon as I finish writing the
> docs for it.
> 2. I will commit the new mediaproxy module as soon as the new mediaproxy
> is done with the testing phase and can be released.
> 3. Common functionality between nathelper and mediaproxy which is related
> to handling NAT traversal for SIP signaling purposes (like contact
> fixing, nat detection, pinging) should be moved to the nat_traversal
> module (we should consider the most complete version of the 2 and port
> that). Pinging is already done by this new keepalive functionality.
> 4. We end up with a module for nat traversal for signaling and 2 modules
> that only deal with media relaying. The nathelper module should be
> probably renamed to rtpproxy or something similar to indicate it no
> longer handles anything NAT related, only media.

This is all fine for me. I also looked some time ago into both modules, and
even if i don't consider me an expert for NAT setups i noticed some code
duplication and such.

As long as no functionality of the nathelper module is lost i also thinks its
reasonable to move some parts into the common module. More extensive changes
should be done (or at least reviewed) from the maintainer, as Juha said.