[OpenSER-Devel] usrloc get_all_db_ucontacts frequency

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Tue Mar 25 15:57:22 CET 2008

Hi Juha,

Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu writes:
>
>  > This is more or less DB_ONLY mode specific - for the other modes, there
>  > are no DB penalties.
>  >
>  > This has nothing to do with mem consumption - is about distributing the
>  > pings in time.
>
> bogdan,
>
> i could imagine that it would be possible to read all contacts at once
> (every 20 sec in my example) and then when, they are all in memory,
> still distribute the pings in time, i.e., i don't see why there would
> need to be a relationship between db_reads and ping distribution.

As said, this make sense only for DB_ONLY mode, as for the other modes,
the contacts are already in mem (cached) and there is not need to have a
second memory copy.
 From nathelper/mediaproxy point of view, the DB mode (is usrloc) is
totally transparent and this was the reason I did the same approach for
fetching the contacts - i wanted to avoid to have specific
implementations (in other modules) for certain DB modes in usrloc
>  > Adding a new param to control the usrloc interaction may complicate and
>  > confuse the users - at least this is MHO. But if there is a demand for
>  > such enhancement, you can open a feature request.
>
> i don't have any need for making changes at this point.  i'm just
> experimenting with db_mode 3 in order to see if it is really feasible to
> use it.  db query frequency is a minor problem.  frequent crashes are
> much more severe.  unfortunately, i don't know how to reproduce the
> crashes, but if i turn on db_mode 3, i start to get them regularly.

OK - we need to work on these first :)

Regards,
Bogdan