[OpenSER-Devel] [Serdev] Possible bug in the tm module in the presence of packet loss/branches

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at sippysoft.com
Wed Mar 12 20:37:23 CET 2008

Dan Pascu wrote:
> Anyway, examples are many and I'm sure people can even find more practical
> ones. The main reason for all of them being possible, is the fact that a
> CANCEL is no longer really canceling the call under these circumstances,
> and that the user is stripped from it's ability to control if a call
> should end or not before being setup, by random conditions (network
> packet loss) or purposeful abuses of the protocol behavior.

All this has nothing to do with the SIP, really. It just illustrates the
point that SIP proxy is bad choice for real-time VoIP accounting. If you
use B2BUA, all those concerns go away, as you will get two separate SIP
calls, so that your ingress call is isolated from any issues with
egress, such as packet loss and so on.

Maksym Sobolyev
Sippy Software, Inc.
Internet Telephony (VoIP) Experts