[OpenSER-Devel] Possible bug in the tm module in the presence of packet loss/branches

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at sippysoft.com
Thu Mar 6 23:48:36 CET 2008

Dan Pascu wrote:
> My issue with what you're proposing is that it tries to modify the SIP
> callflow to something no specified in the RFC, to solve a non-SIP
> problem. I also do not like the idea that the proxy would keep
> retransmitting on a branch after the originator has canceled the call.

Well, the problem is that while it's not specified directly in the RFC,
but the current UAC behavior clearly violates 3-way handshake mechanism
and leaves window open for UAC is UAS ending up in disjoint states due
to 100 Trying loss. We can argue how big that window is (for example on
some of my servers I can see about 0.1% of UDP being dropped), but the
fact remains.

If you look at the Figure 5 in the RFC 3261 the only way client
transaction could move directly from the Calling state to the Terminated
state is via Timer B or Transport Err. No other path exist.

Maksym Sobolyev
Sippy Software, Inc.
Internet Telephony (VoIP) Experts
T/F: +1-646-651-1110