[OpenSER-Devel] 1.4.0 release..

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Mon Jun 30 13:57:37 CEST 2008

Hi all,

according to our initial schedule [1] we want to release 1.4.0 this friday.
Because of the recent delays in the development i want to ask if this date is
valid anymore.

I'm not sure how much testing of the actual development branch has been done.
In some areas its perhaps sufficient, but for the server as a whole probably
not. In the past the stabilisation phase was two month, we aggreed to change
this to one month because of the past experiences that no real testing were
done.

I think this is caused to some extend from our lack of user involvement in
this state of development. Other projects has a more formal process with some
alpha and beta versions before a stable version is released, for example.
Anyway, we should reach a descicion.

I can think of several options now:

1) release 1.4.0 as soon as possible, fix all bugs as they get reported in the
stable branch (similar to 1.3.0). Try to fix already open bugs on the tracker
before the release. For this option i propose the 11th July as date.

2) Review all existing issues reported on the tracker and fix them. Release
1.4.0 when ready.

3) release 1.4.0-alpha this friday, ask for testing on the user list. Release
a beta/ stable according the bugs/ user experiences in a few weeks from now.

What do you think?

Henning

[1] http://lists.openser.org/pipermail/devel/2008-June/013909.html