[OpenSER-Devel] [ openser-Patches-1998043 ] Fetch Support for Dialog-Module

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Wed Jun 25 08:04:57 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 24 June 2008, Henning Westerholt wrote:
> > It's a very serious limitation. I even call it a bug. If you have to
> > flush you dialog state table to be able to restart openser, the whole
> > ability to preserve dialog state over restarts is gone out on the
> > window. Under these circumstances, why would I even bother to save
> > dialog state if I can't reload it.
>
> You can of course work around this problem with increasing the
> pkg_memory size depending on the size of the dialog set.

Actually I tried that in the past and it has drawbacks that made me give
up on it. First you may allocate a lot of memory. Assume 50 processes
each with 5Mb. That makes 250Mb wasted as only 1 process really needs
more memory, that is the main process which loads the dialogs at startup
(or the location entries). All the other workers do not need that extra
memory so it's just wasted. Then later you find out that 5Mb is not
enough because you have too many dialogs so when you hit a new limit you
have to increase it again and recompile. It's simply not working.

--
Dan