[OpenSER-Devel] discussion: issues with local_route

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Thu Jun 12 11:09:03 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> [..]
> I can summarize that the major problem is that many functions and
> operations were not designed to work in nested SIP request contexts.
> Although the impression is that they work on the MESSAGE context,
> affecting the variables around this request, they affect the ones
> related to INVITE, and the results may be unexpected.
>
> I can provide some small scripts to see that operations done in
> local_route are affecting the INVITE although should not.

Hi,

i can't comment on the technical details. But for my opinion they are
already too much "this don't work by design", "this will have side effects"
or "this introduces confusion" statements in this thread. The issues with the
SIP msg buffer (end of Daniels initial mail) were also not addressed yet.

Another point is that, although some of the functions were enabled for the new
route, i have not seen that much documentation so far. Even this could be
provided in the remaining time, nevertheless users will run into the
discussed shortcomings and will count them as bugs. The impact of this change
has IMHO increased, as now quite a lot of modules are enabled for this route.

So i've came to the same conclusion like Juha. Its better to revert the
commits that were done so far, upload the patch to the tracker, and continue
with the developing after the release. People that really need this feature
probably maintain anyway their own tree, and already applying custom patches.
I think it makes more sense to err on the side of stability and correctness.