[OpenSER-Devel] mediaproxy vs. mediaproxy-ng

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Jun 6 15:23:17 CEST 2008

Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Dan Pascu writes:
>
>  > As for the dependencies, all used packages are publicly available on
>  > cheeseshop.python.org and can be installed, or made packages for debian
>  > etch by those interested to do so.
>
> i have tried that by starting to build the packages from lenny sources
> on etch and it does not work out easily.  at some point there will be a
> major conflict, like this:
>
>  python-all depends on python2.4 (>= 2.4.4-4); however:
>   Version of python2.4 on system is 2.4.4-3+etch1.

That version dependency comes from the fact that when the package was
first introduced in unstable that was the minimum python version. You
can lower it to what you have. python-application works just fine with
any version of python 2.4 or newer.

> of course one could make it to work by building also python2.4 from
> never source, but then the idea of running stable debian distribution
> and its benefits will vanish.

You don't need to. Just lower the minimum version dependency to >=
2.4.0. Porting debian packages from testing to stable is not as simple
as copying the debian directory. You'll also need to adjust files in
there to match that distribution's standards and versions.

> so in practise openser 1.4 mediaproxy module cannot be used in debian
> etch and it makes no sense to include it in the package.

You are wrong. It works just fine with debian etch. The fact that you
could not make them into debian packages doesn't mean it can't be done.
Besides, you can always run it in standalone mode, like before. Just
download the source, put it in some directory along with all the other
python dependencies (some may need to be build inplace if they have
extension modules) and run it. If it runs, then it can also be made into
a package, if you have the know how.

Removing a certain module because someone could not make a debian
package for debian etch (one distribution amongst many), makes little
sense to me, especially when it can be done. Even if we would assume
that it can't work on debian etch (which is false), what about the users
of debian unstable/testing (the main targets for new openser packages
anyway), ubuntu, redhat, fedora core, gentoo, suse, centos, freebsd,
solaris? Should we deprive them of this functionality just because
debian takes a few years to make a new release and debian etch lives in
the stone age? One can use debian testing or ubuntu which is basically
debian with a shorter release cycle, but again making a debian package
for etch should be a much easier thing to do.

--
Dan