[OpenSER-Devel] mediaproxy vs. mediaproxy-ng

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Jun 6 12:33:05 CEST 2008

Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Dan Pascu writes:
>
>  > What exactly does not work?
>
> mediaproxy-dispatcher package depends on mediaproxy-common package and
> mediaproxy-common depends on, for example, on python-application package
> that does not exist in debian etch.  this means that
> mediaproxy-dispatcher package cannot be installed on debian etch.

We do not claim to provide debian packaging for all debian
distributions. The included debian directory is just a convenience for
users of testing and unstable. Normally it shouldn't be included in the
source, but it should be provided by debian developers for each debian
distribution.
Anyone is free however to make his own debian packaging. Or the software
can be installed as before in its own directory and run from there.

As for the dependencies, all used packages are publicly available on
cheeseshop.python.org and can be installed, or made packages for debian
etch by those interested to do so.
Following this argument, we should never release it because some
distribution doesn't package python-application or python-gnutls or what
else. All the dependencies are listed in the INSTALL and if they are not
available in some distribution, people are free to install or package
them themselves.

>  > It's a simple python application, which
>  > should run anywhere a python interpreter is installed, including
>  > etch.
>
> then why does mediaproxy-dispatcher package depend on mediaproxy-common?
> if that dependency can be removed, then the problem would go away.

Because it uses parts from that package.

--
Dan