[OpenSER-Devel] mediaproxy vs. mediaproxy-ng

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Jun 6 11:15:50 CEST 2008

Juha Heinanen wrote:
> new mediaproxy module in trunk has replaced the old module.  i'm not
> sure if this is a good idea, because it makes impossible to use
> mediaproxy in current stable debian distribution (etch).  the module
> itself, of course, works, but dispatcher, which requires local socket to
> talk to openser, does not work.

What exactly does not work? It's a simple python application, which
should run anywhere a python interpreter is installed, including etch. I
do not understand what the local socket used to talk to openser has to
do with the stable debian distribution. Previous mediaproxy also used a
local socket to talk to openser.

> i would therefore suggest that the new
> mediaproxy module does not replace the old one, but is called
> mediaproxy-ng instead.

I do not like this idea. The new mediaproxy module is the current
version, not some next-gen version. The old one is obsolete and no
longer supported. Having them both available will only create confusion
and a mess.

Why don't you make a list of issues you encountered with etch and we
will try to fix them?

--
Dan