[OpenSER-Devel] SIP ping and usrloc

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 12:03:57 CEST 2008

On 07/04/08 12:01, Victor Pascual Ávila wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Jason Penton <jason.penton at smilecoms.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to implement some functionality in usrloc to do a SIP ping
>> (maybe using OPTIONS) before returning a contact making sure the contact is
>> 'alive'?
>>

> If the registered UA is alive, pinging before every usrloc (e.g.
> OPTIONS) you just increase the call setup latency.
>
> If the registered UA is not alive, I'm afraid I don't see the
> difference between pinging before every usrloc (e.g. OPTIONS) and
> sending the corresponding INVITE- you still need to handle timeouts.

Perhaps an improvement will be to have the ability to mark a contact as
expired if there is a local time-out after a lookup(location)+relay.
Next calls to that user won't be relayed to the contact address again.
But I guess there are a lot of exceptions and cases to be taken in
consideration...

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com