[OpenSER-Devel] Newbie doubt

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Tue Jan 29 12:54:10 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Daniel Cardoso Alves wrote:
> Hi people!
>
> I use the openser and I understand a bit how to configure it.
> Now I joined in this list for understand more about the openser and in the
> future, who know, I can help in openser's development...

Hi Daniel,

great! :-)

> I would know where I can find some documentation of openser's
> development... For example:
> What I can change?

You can change everything, its opensource after all.. ;-) But for a start you
could try to implement some smaller features,extensions to the documentations
or bugfixes are of course really appreciated too. There is some information
about the general process "how to become a developer" available at
http://www.openser.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/development:contributions

> How to I can add new function?

If the new function is usable from more then one or two modules, it should be
added to the core. If you want to implement specififc functionality, e.g.
some new features, you could also implement a new module, or even better,
extend a existing one.

> There are any grammar for the syntactic analyzer?

I assume you refer to the SIP parser. The implementation of this code is
located in the 'parser' directory.

> Finally, How I can start my studies?

There is unfortunally no developer tutorial available. You should read the
OpenSER code, especially from the core, and participate here on the list at
the discussions. There exists a doxygen installation at:
http://devel.openser.org/doxygen/ which could also help you in understanding
the structure of the server. There were also some presentations in the past
about the administration and development of OpenSER, you find them on the
openser.org site or with your favorite search engine.

If you have special development related questions, you could always ask here
or at the project IRC channel.