[OpenSER-Devel] radius issues in IRC minutes

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 21:50:04 CET 2008

Hello,

I think my proposal was misunderstood in the first place. By compacting
the RADIUS modules I was not really meaning to remove/merge some of
them, but to collect duplicate code in a single place, and reuse from
there. Also, if we get to the conclusion that it is good to be done,
that does not mean you have to do it :-)

So here are more details and reasons for the proposal.
- in the past, any time when the libradiusclient was updated, all radius
modules were affected (e.g., see commits on SER repository related to
migration to libradiusclient-ng or updates/bugs related to this library).
- in the eventuality of adding failover/load balancing support (ability
to connect to many RADIUS servers depending on different situations and
usecases), we will have the whole engine in a single place, and once
added there, all radius modules will benefit of (LDAP module has kind of
such approach)
- as DIAMETER has same attribute-value architecture, we may find (some
investigation needed here) that we can reuse the rest of the code in
*radius modules to add the diameter support just by replacing the
connector module (e.g., assuming we will have "radius" and "diameter"
modules)
- there are many radius servers out there, although not requested so
far, in case one wants to add support for other radius server which has
a different client library, lot of duplicate will be required

These are my main points about this item, any comment is appreciated.