[OpenSER-Devel] [dnssec-deployment] Seeking early users for Unbound

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Mon Feb 18 10:55:19 CET 2008

On Thursday 14 February 2008, Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just read this about a new DNS resolver library. Maybe if we ever want
>   to change the resolver (for example to introduce a-sync DNS resolving
> or DNSSEC) this might be useful piece of software.

Hi Klaus!

I already evaluated some other DNS libraries:

- adns, used e.g. from wireshark and others provides asynchronous DNS
- udns, provides better documentation and performance then adsn
- firedns, agressive resolving with configurable small timeouts

As the glibc resolver has some issues especially in regards to timeouts we see
the need for a better DNS library too. But because of the architectural
issues Dan pointed out, probably the best match for now is firedns as
(configurable) replacement for the standard resolver.

But this will be yet another band-aid for a specific problem, and solves not
the issues that we have with our core APIs. Perhaps some time in the future
we can use a library like pjlib [1] for our internal needs instead of
developing and maintaining our own solutions.

But as pjlib is pre 1.0 software, has only one main developer and is not
available in debian (stable) this will be not in the near future. And this
will be a quite complexe rewrite, so it would be clearly a step for OpenSER
2.0..

Best regards,

Henning

[1] http://www.pjsip.org/pjlib/docs/html/main.htm