[OpenSER-Devel] RFC: memory management in database modules

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Thu Feb 7 09:44:14 UTC 2008

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> Well ....do not take me as a performance maniac :D...As I said, it is
> not about performance but about functionality - memory fragmentation is
> something serious and we should try to avoid it as much as possible.

As a side note to the discussed issue, I don't think it is realistic to
assume that memory fragmentation will not occur by just avoiding some DB
memory allocations that vary in size too much. Given the varying size of
SIP requests, over time, if the proxy is online for a long time and
servicing many requests per second, memory fragmentation will occur
sooner or later, unless the memory allocator is smart and works around
it, or if it has a defragmentor that is run when memory gets too fragmented.

--
Dan