[OpenSER-Devel] Short introduction

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at sippysoft.com
Mon Feb 4 23:59:33 UTC 2008

Jesus Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi Maxim,
>
>> Klaus Darilion wrote:
>>> Hi Maxim!
>>>
>>> Nice to see you here too.

>>> If I understand correctly, radiuclient-ng is dead and further
>>> development will happen in FreeRadius-Client. Is this correct?
>>
>> Sorta. We've recently decided to merge two projects on the basis of
>> freeradius-client, since those guys are apparently more interested in
>> moving functionality forward. All radiusclient-ng developers have joined
>> freeradius-client now, and I've recently merged all latest fixes from
>> radiusclient to freeradius-client.
>>
>> I am waiting for the new freeradius-client release now so that I can
>> switch SER / OpenSER to using freeradius-client. At the moment, the
>> latest release of freeradius-client lags behind radiusclient in terms of
>> several critical bugs, so that I don't want to pull the trigger yet.
>

> Will be possible to use this freeradius-client as a generic radius
> client for other radius servers like Radiator or will it be too much
> "integrated" with freeradius server that will only be possible to use it
> with it?

Our agreement with freeradius guys has been that the client will remain
a generic one, not specific to any particular Radius server. Due to
different licenses (BSD vs. GPL), it's likely that it will be
distributed as a separate package and there will be little or no code
sharing between the server and the client packages.

Maksym Sobolyev
Sippy Software, Inc.
Internet Telephony (VoIP) Experts
T/F: +1-646-651-1110