[Kamailio-Devel] Moving forward to Kamailio 2.0: Async core design

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Sat Aug 2 12:32:43 CEST 2008

Hello,

With the risk of stating the obvious, the future success of this
project is dependent on its ability to reliably deliver larger
payloads than a basic voice call setup. Presence is one example. IETF
moves towards removing UDP as allowed transport in the next version of
the SIP protocol. UDP fragmentation at NAT-ed routers is the most
visible culprit and there are other reasons.

The way to move forward is to switch to using a reliable transport
like TCP. This is not reliable with the current design, which is
blocking at every step waiting for an answer from DNS, Radius, SQL
queries, and TCP putting it into its knees at every connection
timeout. We are looking at rebuilding the core to be an asynchronous
reactor that does not block during the processing of SIP messages.

This means a new design and a lot of work to implement it. Here is an
open question at this stage to get the big picture so that at least we
know where we stand as a community on this topic:

1. Do we see this target as high priority for a next generation
Kamailio 2.0?
2. If yes, what timeframe do we see realistic to achieve it?
3. Are you as a software developer or company willing to put any
energy into it?

Other thoughts on this matter are welcome.

Thanks,
Adrian