[OpenSER-Devel] SF.net SVN: openser: [3972] trunk

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Thu Apr 3 22:14:30 CEST 2008

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> True as well, but is quite big impact, at least the openserctl will
> require major rewriting. The db api in openser tries to use the common
> framework for all databases, not to have db-type dependent code. DB
> modules have to be updated, too, afaik none is doing column name
> quoting. Don't know how has to be done for unixodbc, where the db
> system behind is dynamic.
>
> At the end is a trade-off between trying to be as much as possible db
> type independent, simplicity and flexibility. By your way, would not be
> necessary to have parameters to set the column names, most modules have
> it just because of similar situations. I will be happy to see quoting
> column names support in the db modules ;)

It's true that it may be harder to do that a simple column name change,
but at least it will cure the problem for good. Otherwise the problem is
not solved, just avoided, until one needs to change the column name again
because a new database backend was added that has different keyword
restrictions, or until a database adds new keywords in a future version.
Then we have to yet again change the column names and break backward
compatibility, plus go into the whole update the external applications
thing all over.

As for configurable column names, that may still be useful. Sometimes we
need to use other preexisting tables, and being able to map to them could
be useful.

--
Dan