[OpenSER-Devel] trunk compilation warning

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Thu Oct 18 12:53:01 CEST 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Henning Westerholt wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2007, Dan Pascu wrote:
> Hello Dan,
>
> the current approach has the advantage that it allows someone to
> specify which tables he want to use in the Makefile, other tables are
> not generated.

And what is the advantage in this? Why would I want to build only a few
tables definitions instead of building them all?

> Anyway, this don't qualify for me as bugfix or tools enchancement, so
> its not possible to do this change at the moment in the trunk. So
> please lets keep the current state for now.

Here I disagree. To me this qualifies as an enhancement of the build and
install process, which is something that should be done before the
release. Enhancing the build/install process is not something that will
affect how openser behaves and it can only be beneficial, considering
that this is a 2 line fix in the Makefile and we have 2 months to test
it.

I'd like to hear other's opinions about this.

> Yes, you're right. Its not possible at the moment to only install the
> serweb or presence tables _without_ the core tables.

Which is not the point. I'm sure this can be done, but the point is that
is an unnecessary schism that has to be managed and dealt with.

--
Dan