[OpenSER-Devel] Serious issue

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Nov 2 18:46:27 UTC 2007

I got these error messages while running openser -c to check the
configuration:

Nov  2 19:29:44 [10055] ERROR:mi_datagram:mi_destroy: cannot delete the
socket (/var/run/openser/socket): Permission denied
Nov  2 19:29:44 [10055] ERROR:mi_fifo:mi_destroy: cannot delete the fifo
(/var/run/openser/fifo): Permission denied

As it seems, trying to check the configuration will attempt to remove the
fifo and socket files. Fortunately I didn't have enough privileges to
remove those files as the user I was when checking the config, but I
recall that I noticed repeatedly that my fifo and socket files were gone
and couldn't explain why.

Trying to remove them while just checking for the configuration is wrong.
I may have a server already running and I only want to make sure the new
config is OK before I attempt to restart it. We even have this check in
the debian init.d file before restarts to make sure we won't restart
unless the config is valid. But with this behavior, the running server
will be crippled by any attempt to simply check the configuration.

Those files shouldn't be removed, even on a normal start, unless openser
is sure it is not already running. Else it will error that it cannot bind
to the SIP socket and fail to start, but will cripple at the same time an
already running server.

--
Dan