[Devel] database setup scripts

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Fri May 11 17:46:25 CEST 2007

On Freitag, 11. Mai 2007, you wrote:
> Hej!
> > [..]
> > The second step would be to generate the sql from an abstract definition
> > (a custom format, or XML with XSL scripts), the old architecture will be
> > remain and would be still used for database creation.
>
> Correct me if I'm visualizing this incorrectly..   All the sql is
> modular and there's an xml file containing information on the different
> sql modules that ties into the install process for selecting what's needed?
>
> I'm all for the modules... If the mapping of the modules to install
> functionality is 1 to 1.. I'd vote for a more simple format than xml..

I plan to stay with the current script table separation, e.g. core, extra,
serweb and presence. For 'advanced user' it would be of course possible to
edit a config file.

The benefit of XSL is that you don't need to write an own parser and can use
existing scripts.. The XML dialect i would like to choose would be really
simple. But i'll think about this, and do some tests with other approaches.