[Devel] database setup scripts

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Fri May 11 16:51:00 CEST 2007

Hello Henning,

On 05/11/07 17:35, Henning Westerholt wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> the current process of database related changes could be in my opionion
> somewhat improved. If some changes are made in one module that needs a
> database schema update, these adoptions must be made in three different
> scripts for all databases. Sometimes one db (dbtext) is forgotten, or errors
> get introduced. We've seens this quite a few times in the past.
> There also exist not a real database schema, one must gather the informations
> from the wiki and the setup scripts.
>
> I think it would be better to generate the create table calls from a common
> specification, this is also the way one well know competitor handle this. ;-)
>
> A first step would be to isolate the SQL snippets from the bash scripts, and
> provide one file for each database (part).
>
> This snippets could easily used from the remaining script logic, no
> functionality should gets lost.
>
> The second step would be to generate the sql from an abstract definition (a
> custom format, or XML with XSL scripts), the old architecture will be remain
> and would be still used for database creation.
>
> If the new process produce the same result as the old files could be deleted
> in the third step.
>
> A good place for the schema would be the db directory, the sql snippets could
> be saved in scripts/sql/$DatabaseName
>
> I would like to hear your opionion on this, as this is a central part of
> OpenSER. If nobody objects, i plan to start to work next week on this.

that's great. It was all the time a todo item, but time constraints and
higher prioritized tasks made it to be postponed. I am happy with any
proposal, xml should be fine as one can add new tags for description,
examples that can be ignored when generating sql but used when
generating reference guide.