[Devel] generic task execution implementation

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Tue May 8 10:45:40 CEST 2007

On Donnerstag, 26. April 2007, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> you know ... patches on tracker :-) ... and discussion here.
>
> Do you see a major benefit using this approach instead of registering
> another timer function? It was mentioned in a email that future work ill
> consider having multiple timer processes (I guess it was some discussion
> about nathelper improvements).

Hello Daniel,

the benefit of this approach is the isolation against the normal timer
subsystem. Some task thats get executed of this implementation can need quite
a lot of time, e.g. imagine restarting a hanged database process. Blocking
e.g. the transaction timers for several seconds is not a good thing on a busy
server.. :-)

A further benefit is the relative simple behaviour and implementation, this
code is only app. 300 lines over all, this is much more easy for handling and
debugging.