[Devel] all openser processes do not get killed

Jerome Martin jmartin at longphone.fr
Thu May 3 20:31:30 CEST 2007

I have had the same problem since a looong time, so I have integrated a
bit more logic in my initscript (sarge/sid).

Please find attached my initscript, look at the stop_daemon procedure :
start-stop-daemon has different params than usual (man
start-stop-daemon) and thaere is a safety killall -9 after that. Please
note that this script uses m4, checks config before stoping/restarting
openser (and abort if necessary), and also reunifies rtpproxy and
openser DSCP tagging for QoS by using iptables, so please only take what
you need from it.

This has been a long trial and error, but this script is 100% stable
under my environment (and those defunct processes where REALLY a pain in
the A__ !, because I'm using an HA system which NEEDS to guarantee that
services are either ON or OFF).

Also note that this method is NOT suitable for multiple openser
instances (not using process PID file anymore, and using killall).

Feel free to resuse as much of this initscript as you like.

I'm surprised that no one reported this before, I've being seeing this
problem since mid-2006 !