[Devel] adding new event packages to presence server

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Thu Mar 29 20:56:44 CEST 2007

Kobi Eshun writes:

 > I wrote a patch that does this about 6 weeks ago, although it
 > probably will not compile against 1.2x any more. It turned out to be
 > quite a big patch (about 1600 lines) although some of it was
 > cosmetic. The big "problem" with adding support for message-summary
 > is that the presence module implements two specific event RFCs,
 > "presence" and "presence.winfo."  Much of the logic in the module
 > assumes this (or did at the time).

kobi,

this does not sound very promising. i would have thought that adding
support for such a simple event package would not be more than a couple
of hundred lines of code.  openser von slides say about presence
implementation:

modular design for presence
one presence engine
several (specialized or not) components to inject presence
information
this design enables:
presence support for non-SIP entities
publish the CPU usage of your desktop
publish weather information
publish the stock size from your store
presence support for old SIP phones
easy creation for custom/complex presence extensions

 > For the record, we ended up not using the message summary event
 > package for our application because it leaves unsolved the problem of
 > presenting the list of available messages to the client.

there are several sip phones that somehow can do that (nokia phones for
example).

-- juha