[Devel] one more (possible) improovments of mysql module

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Wed Jun 20 14:49:31 CEST 2007

On Freitag, 15. Juni 2007, Victor Gamov wrote:
> Hi Henning
>
> > Hi Victor,
> >
> > yes, these functions does the same thing in this case. But fetch_result
> > does more operations (e.g. row counting) then store_result, so this would
> > be decrease the performance of the server. The store_result function is
> > executed from many modules.
>
> store_result uses all same functions as fetch_result. It call
> db_mysql_convert_result() then many functions called by
> db_mysql_convert_result().
>
> fetch_result more smart and do many works internally.
>
> so if store_result and fetch_result haven't other differences we can
> increase performance because fetch_result don't make unnecessary
> functions calls. IMHO

Hello Victor,

sorry for the late reply, i was quite busy with work.

As i said before, fetch_result does quite a few functions calls that are not
needed for the normal and raw query case. So for this functions, that get
called a lot, the performance would decrease. Fetch_result is as twice as big
as store_result, is does this row counting, has some loops inside. This means
more code that needs to get executed, more possibilities for errors..

So i think we should stay with the current state.

But if you want to work on the database interface, there are of course many
more improvements possible.. :-)
There are for example some functions present in the mysql module that are not
implemented for postgres:

- last_inserted_id (that should be easy)
- replace