[OpenSER-Devel] Request for comments: sdpparser: module or integrated into the core

Ovidiu Sas sip.nslu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 22:20:33 CEST 2007

Hi Bogdan,

I started to play with the functions that are already implemented by
the nathelper.

We have two options here:
1. integrate into the core:
  - advantages:
    - easy to maintain, access, reuse the existing parsing infrastructure
  - disadvantage:
    - the core footprint will grow (not everyone will use the parser)

2. create a new module:
  - advantages:
    - only the configurations that need the sdp parser will load the module
    - small footprint for the core
  - disadvantages
    - difficult memory management if two modules are trying to use the parser

I would like to go with option one and integrate everything under the
parser directory.

The idea is to create some structure like this and link them:

sdp -> multiple sessions
session -> multiple streams
stream -> multiple payloads

each sdp has:
  - number of sessions: /* unsigned int: no_of_sessions */

each session has:
  - number of streams /* unsigned int: no_of_streams */

each stream has:
  - one IP address, /* str: 1.2.3.4 */
  - one port, /* str: 12345 */
  - one media type, /* str: audio */
  - one transport type /* str: RTP/AVP */
  - number of payloads /* unsigned int: index for easy access to payload */

each payload has:
  - one payload, /* str: 0 */
  - one encoding, /* str: PCMU */
  - one clockrate, /* str: 8000 */
  - one param /* str: NULL */

After the sdp is parsed, each stream/payload would be accessed via:
sdp_get_stream(session_index, stream_index)
sdp_get_payload(session_index, stream_index, payload_index)

Regards,
Ovidiu Sas