[OpenSER-Devel] Request for comment : logging in OpenSER

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Fri Jul 13 10:39:40 CEST 2007

Hi everybody,

There is some undergoing work on the logging system in OpenSER and I
feel that some issues should be publicly addressed before moving forward.

What we have now in openser:
    1) two logging systems - syslog and standard error
    2) message format - totally chaos.

What we want to fix:
    1) a better way to make easy distinction between the logs from
different levels (ERR, WARN, DBG, etc)
    2) a standard message format that, independend of the logging
support (syslog, stderr), will provide all the needed information (level
and date at least).

Here is my suggestion:

1) logging and message format:
   There will be different macros for each log level and the message
should include the module_name and function for a better tracking of the
messages:

    LOG_NOTICE("module_name:function: message")
    LOG_DBG("module_name:function: message")
    LOG_ERR("module_name:function: message")

2) logging backends:
    a) syslog
       syslog automatically logs the date, process and from syslog.conf,
you can redirect the log in different files based on the log level, so
here there is nothing to be changed.
    b) stderr
       we need to extend dprint() (logger function for stderr) to prefix
to the log message the date and log level (as text). This will provide
similar possibilities as for syslog. (a patch is already available for
this on the tracker)

If there are some comments on the proposed solution or there is a better
approach, please let me know as I want to move on with this topic.

Regards,
Bogdan