[OpenSER-Devel] [ openser-Patches-1748681 ] Optimized Dialog Matching

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 6 09:59:53 CEST 2007

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by klaus_darilion
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=743022&aid=1748681&group_id=139143

not just the latest update.
Category: modules
Group: ver devel

Initial Comment:
We had a look at the dialog module and found the most appropriate dialog matching mode (mode 2, or RFC3261 compliant matching) to be broken and suboptimal

1.  When looking for a dialog it would carry out a full linear scan of every node in the hash table.  We modified the module such that it now does a hash table lookup instead of a full scan, nicely boosting the performance of dialog matching that is not based on a Record-Route parameter

2.  There was a little difficulty in the fact that, depending on the direction of certain messages, the From and To tags could be reversed.  Previously the dialog module, when using matching mode 2, would employ the "is_direction()" function.  The problem is that is_direction only works if the RR module adds a parameter to the Record-Route header!  (which means mode 2 is almost exactly the same as mode 0, in that it requires an RR parameter to work properly)  So if the function wasn't enabled in the RR module then mode 2 dialog matching would fail somtimes (when the far end transmits certain messages, like a BYE)
Our solution was to do a double hash table lookup as were weren't able to find any way to determine the direction (or otherwise infer which of the two, From and To, should be used in the lookup)

Credits go to:
Tavis Paquette <tavis at galaxytelecom.net>
Peter Baer <pbaer at galaxytelecom.net>