[Devel] Patch: several small cleanups and fixes

Christian Schlatter cs at unc.edu
Thu Feb 22 03:06:45 CET 2007

>> 4) add-openser-run-dir.patch
>> This creates a ".dirs" file in the debian directories to add
>> "/var/run/openser" to the packaging system. Otherwise this directory
>> must be manualy created, and it will be sometimes after a reboot
>> deleted (at least on ubuntu). This is much more user friendly and
>> avoid confusion why the server would not start.
>>
> what will be the purpose of the /var/run/openser directory? openser does
> not use it ..afaik...

When running openser as non-root user it can't write its pid file into
/var/run since this is owned by root in ubuntu. That's why there is a
need for the /var/run/openser directory owned by the openser user.

Ubuntu and I think Debian too cleans the /var/run folder on reboot and
so the /var/run/openser gets deleted on every reboot without the
add-openser-run-dir.patch.

Christian