[Devel] Voicemail handling (message waiting indicator)

Dimo begeragus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 10:40:37 CET 2007

HI guys,
Sorry, i was not near a computer to answer your questions.

Firstly - the silo module looks fine to mee too. I was thinking on
using it and it may be a great functionality if it can be expanded to
support the call-id from the subscribe. The only problem I see, (not
sure if i am correct) is that if a user has 3-4 phones, at the moment
the first phone registers, the silo will dump everything, and the
second phone will not know that there is a message waiting in VM.

About the unsolicited MWI, with random call-id - strangely some
versions of eyebeam do not accept the random call-id but demand the
one from registration, others act funny  - it is not the case in the
current version though, where unsolicited mwi works.
Other equipment I noticed requiring the call-id from Register is Linksys PAP 2T
So I think vendors are starting to adopt this strategy.

On a side note, i think it is better for equipment to require call-id
from register to avoid fakes, although MWI is not something so
critical, it still will result in people checking their VM when they
do not have messages wasting time similarly to spam, and even
complaining to their sip provider for false MWI.

What is your oppinion of making openser handling the SUBSCRIBE
messages? Something like a subscribe module which will use the info
from VM server and answer to subscriptions, with fallback to
registration call-id from register, if there is no subscribe.

Thank you for the active participation!
Dimo