[Devel] Towards OpenSER libification

Weiter Leiter bp4mls at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:10:03 CEST 2007

On 4/23/07, Julien BLACHE <julien.blache at linbox.com> wrote:

> Sebastien Tricaud wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > * What I would like to do:
> >     - Make sure each component is usable individually: I would like to
> use a
> >         high performance SIP parser. The OpenSER one fills the room. I
> am
> >         sure this is one way to have this library having more users,
>
> Just a quick note here: shared library means performance hit, due to the
> relative addressing used for PIC code.

The "hit" only affects the loader. After relocation is done (i.e. program is
running), there is no difference between a statically and a dinamically
linked executable, concerning performance.

WL.

Keep that in mind :)

> As far as the build system goes, I'd be in favour of moving to
> autotools; the current build system has its share of shortcomings, and
> CMake causes some interesting problems in some environments so IMHO it's
> not really fit for OpenSER. Autotools is by far the most portable build
> system out of there.
>
> Though the switch won't be easy to achieve :)
>
> JB.
>
> --
> Julien BLACHE                                 <julien.blache at linbox.com>
> Linbox / Free & ALter Soft                       <http://www.linbox.com>

"C is a language that combines all the elegance and power of assembly
language with all the readability and maintainability of assembly language."