[Devel] Towards OpenSER libification

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Mon Apr 23 09:47:09 CEST 2007

On Friday 20 April 2007 17:49, Sebastien Tricaud wrote:
>[..]
> * What I would like to do:
>     - Make sure each component is usable individually: I would like to use
> a high performance SIP parser. The OpenSER one fills the room. I am sure
> this is one way to have this library having more users, which mean
>         used in ways OpenSER could not imagine, leading to discovering
> new bugs and have OpenSER avoid SIP parsing troubles [1].

Hello Sebastien,

i clearly understand the usecase for a isolated openser parser, but why do
think that this would solve eventual security problems for OpenSER?

>     - Maybe replace useless(!) things like memory management, which is
> what most C-written projects do. I think the base library could be Apache
>         libAPR [2]. Maybe this is not the best choice, and if you have a
> better idea please let me know.

The reason for the custom memory management is that the system memory manager
don't fulfil the performance requirements of OpenSER in the past. Perhaps
this is now different. The SER people did sometime ago memory performance
tests [1], you'll find also on the mailling list some discussion about this.

I think that the libAPR is also highly optimized, the requirements for an web
server and for an SIP server should be somewhat the same. If we would change
the memory management, i would go with libAPR.

It would be interesting to know how different is the libAPR memory interface
from the current used is. I don't think that there is much acceptance for an
rewrite of the whole code base just for an different memory manager.

[1] http://www.iptel.org/ser/doc/performance/vaclev