[Devel] Hi all !

Elias Baixas elias.baixas at voztele.com
Fri Apr 20 01:36:29 CEST 2007

Hello everybody!

today I came across this article
http://www.voipnow.org/2007/04/74_open_source_.html
which I found quite interesting. Its a comparison of 74 open source VoIP
projects. Somewhere I've read OSS has a chance (if it hasn't already) to
take over the industry and lead the development, specially in VoIP.

I got surprised of how many OSS projects are there on VoIP, specially on
SIP (when I started there was only VOVIDA/SER :P) and how many people
are doing quite the same.

This is known to be a flaw (bug or feature??) in OSS: loosely-coupled
coordination, so sometimes there's not enough communication between
different developers, no cross-listing/project ideas, brainstormings, etc.

wouldnt it be great to have a meeting place for all the developers of
OSS-VoIP ?

I know in a list with too many subscribers frequently the noise
surpasses the signal (SNR down, bad thing), but core
developers/architects of these initiatives should be more aware of each
other. don't you think ? this made me think of the IRC meeting tomorrow,
wouldn't it be nice to organize a similar thing for the several projects ?

best regards,

Elias Baixas