[Devel] Compiler CPU optimizations

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Mon Sep 18 15:53:50 CEST 2006

For as long as I remember compiling openser, always used -mtune=athlon
(with gcc-3.x) and now it's using -mtune=athlon64 (with gcc-4.x), even
though I always compiled it on pentium4 CPUs. Now according to the gcc
manual, -mtune only seems to make a difference for ARM processors, still
if the next version of gcc would include specific optimizations for
athlon64 I guess my binary will have troubles to run on an intel pentium4
32 bit CPU

From what I gather from Makefile.defs, if gcc is 4.x then CPU is set
automatically to athlon64 without trying to actually detect the CPU,
which can be a problem. IMO, if the CPU cannot be/is not detected, then
the most generic CPU type for that class should be used. athlon64 is
anything but generic.

--
Dan