[Devel] loop detection fix

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Sep 8 12:06:16 CEST 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 12:21, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Daniel-Constantin Mierla writes:
>  > The issue is with hash value. Somehow should ensure unique values,
>  > but most algorithms dont. They recommend in draft to use md5 which
>  > has low probability of collision.
>
> i guess that md5 is the best there is.

I'd say that md5 is probably the most reasonable choice (at least for
now). If you want better protection from the collision sha1 should be
better, but at the cost of a slightly lower generation rate than md5
(though not by much and this is not a concern on a fairly decent machine
which can easily generate around 1 million sha1 digests per second). Also
the sha1 hex digest is bigger than the md5 one by 8 characters, which
makes the messages longer.

--
Dan