[Devel] how to know which messages are for xmpp world?

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Fri Oct 6 14:39:17 CEST 2006

Daniel-Constantin Mierla writes:

 > There could be a flag per user to
 > specify if the user has SIP or XMPP account. I see no obvious reason to
 > have both, once there will be full gatewaying capabilities.

the reason may be availability of a good im/p client for a certain
device.  for some devices, there could be a better sip client and for
some others, a better (or more popular) xmpp client.

 > The logic
 > should check if the user is registered with the server that got the
 > message, and if not, forward to the gateway. From SIP side, this can be
 > easily achieved with openser, I have no idea about jabber side, if you
 > can have some custom routing rules.

if we have a xmpp server integrated in openser, it can very well
implement the same algorithm.

lets say that xmpp server receives message for a user that exists, but
is not currently connected to the server.  then this integrated xmpp/sip
im server could check if the AoR has been registered on the sip side and
if so, gw the message there.  if the AoR is not registered on either
side, the integrated server could store the message only once and
deliver to whatever client (sip or xmpp) registers first.  there would
be many benefits like that if we had that integrated server.

-- juha