[Devel] two level addressing

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Fri Oct 6 13:23:03 CEST 2006

On 10/06/06 11:23, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> i got messages flying back and forth between sip and xmpp messaging
> clients using xmpp module in component mode.  one thing that bothers me
> is this two level addressing stuff.  it complicates life and i don't see
> why it is needed.
>
> i have created two domains for testing purpose: test.fi and test.com.
> test.fi is sip domain and test.com is xmpp domain.  if i then create two
> SRV entries:
>
> - sip SRV entry for test.com domain that points to xmpp openser instance,
>   which gateways messages to jabber server.
>
> - xmpp SRV entry for test.fi domain that points to xmpp openser
>   component which gateways messages to sip proxy.
>
> things should work without two level addressing if xmpp module is used
> in server mode, right?

yes, the one more dns name is to register the component.
> for this to work, xmpp module should on the xmpp server side support tls
> and whatever an xmpp server is supposed to do when taking to other xmpp
> servers.  it would NOT need to support any xmpp server client side
> stuff, because its only "client" is sip proxy.

yes, what lacks now in "server" mode of the xmpp module is SRV support
(just needs to reuse some code from core) and TLS. Once these are in
place the server mode should be fully functional.

The module is quite young, but I think the design is much better from
scalability point of view. ALso, the address mapping should be made more
flexible, to allow the usage on DNS or other types of translation (as we
do today).