[Devel] debian check_openser_config improvement

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Sat Nov 25 20:27:13 CET 2006

On Saturday 25 November 2006 13:43, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> i would like to suggest adding line
>
>             echo "Run '$DAEMON -c' to find out why."
>
> after line
>
>             echo "Not starting $DESC: invalid configuration file!"

In my original implementation of the config check feature, the error
buffer from running openser -c was accumulated and displayed if there was
any error. I added this in the initial debian openser.init, but for some
reason, the openser debian maintainer decided to take it out. However,
the error buffer is still accumulated, so all you have to do to regain
this behavior is to add a line to print it out. Just add a line with:

echo -e "\n$out\n"

after the echo "Not starting $DESC: invalid configuration file!" line.

> in packaging/debian/openser.init, because the first line alone is quite
> rude.

IMO, it is still more useful to provide the actual error message when
running the init script and there is an error, than to ask the user to
run by hand the command that was already run by the script to determine
if there is an error or not.

--
Dan