[Devel] Introduction and new module

Bastian Friedrich bastian.friedrich at collax.com
Thu Nov 16 08:47:40 CET 2006

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 15. November 2006 13:45 schrieb Juha Heinanen:
> why perl instead of python?

the main reason indeed is that I like perl, and Collax does as well. The main
reason why perl is so powerful is CPAN; afaik, there's nothing alike for
python. Perl has traditionally been the language for tasks like this.

> if you like pearl and some other people
> python, would it be possible to somehow generalize the interface so that
> it would be easy to add python support later?

Unfortunately, I don't see how that would be possible. My module consists of
three main components:

- The module itself. It's tasks are initializing the Perl interpreter plus the
  functions that call the perl methods finally. Perl specific stuff.
- The reverse: XSUB programs that give the perl side access to the C
  structures. XSUB is perl specific.
- Perl infrastructure. Convenience packages/modules/functions that give easy
  access to common tasks, such as canonizing telephone numbers etc. Pure perl
  code.

What you /can/ gather from my code is a template for a possible python module,
though :))

I expect to have a fully working module with most of the infrastructure in
approx. 2-3 months.

Thx,
   Bastian

--
Collax GmbH . Burkheimer Straße 3 . 79111 Freiburg . Germany
p: +49 (0) 761-45684-24

\ "Die Frau ist der annehmbarste Naturfehler."
\          John Milton