[Devel] Infrastructure ENUM

Mon May 15 16:58:59 CEST 2006

Hi!

Some words to the current status of infrastructure ENUM and the new
patch for the ENUM module (ienum-patch.txt):

The IETF's status is that there is a need for infrastructure ENUM. The
goal is to have a different tree for I-ENUM called "ie164.arpa" (for
more details on infrastructure ENUM and the new tree please read
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-infrastructure-00.txt )

As the new domain ie164.arpa will take some time to be ready for
production (this involves the approval of several boards like ITU ...)
there is a need for an interim solution.

The suggested solution is to fork into an infrastructure ENUM tree
within the e164.arpa domain. This is described in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lendl-enum-branch-location-record-00.txt
(It is a enhancement of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haberler-carrier-enum-02.txt )

Using ie164.arpa for infrastructure ENUM is simple and does not require
any changes to the ENUM module.

To use the interim solution, extensions to the ENUM modules are
necessary. This is what this patch is about. It does

1. extend openser's resolver to support TXT and EBL records.
2. extend the ENUM module to allow the use of the TXT-record based
interm solution as described in draft-haberler-carrier-enum-02
3. extend the ENUM module to allow usage of the EBL-record based interm
solution as described in draft-lendl-enum-branch-location-record-00
4. extend the ENUM module to allow branching at the country-code level

In Austria we have already started an infrastructure ENUM trial
(http://www.enum.at/index.php?id=515&L=9 (in german only)). We are
planning to use openser for the trial platform. Thus, it would be great
if the new I-ENUM feature would make it into openser 1.1 (as telcos do
not like to use CVS head versions).

regards
Klaus