[Devel] Loadbalancing using Path-HF with NAT-Support

Andreas Granig andreas.granig at inode.info
Wed Mar 1 16:06:52 CET 2006

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> I will overview the patch that need to be applied on register module and
> if so, I will commit it. then feel free to upload the module on CVS.

Could you please also review the module code? I'm not really a pro
programmer, so there are for sure some things which may be solved more
efficiently...

> regarding the natping stuff....I will try to brainstorm a little bit to
> find some built-in solutions....for the moment:
>    1) if use OPTIONS ping, we can use path to route the ping via the
> balancer as OBP

I've looked at that too, but it would require quite some changes to
nathelper/mediaproxy/usrloc, so I left it alone for now...
But the main problem I see here is, that one probably won't like to
route 20.000 OPTION requests per minute via the OBP, because it's the
only part, which is quite hard to scale (in economical terms, since you
always need a pair of it for availability reasons).

>    2) a light usrloc on OBP just for natping purposes....

Maybe by passing back the Path HF in 200-OK reply from registrar to OBP,
extracting the address of the received-param of the first Path URI and
plainly save that in memory? This would also require synchronization
between active and passive node, which is quite subobtimal for
availability, IMHO.

>    3) open for suggestions...

No other ideas for now from me, except contributing our external tool to
the openser project (but it's limited to mysql, so maybe to specific).

Andy