[Devel] inconsistent DB index scheme in user_preferences

Mike Williams mwilliams at etc1.net
Mon Jun 19 14:54:51 CEST 2006

I agree.

I think that each table should use a single key, preferably an
auto-incremented integer that has no relation to the data in the table.
Requirements always change, and having a key unrelated to data insulates
against that. Additionally, having compound primary keys (keys that are made
from two or more columns) complicates ORM greatly. This is something I have
run into in developing my own interface.

However, I understand the difficulty in changing the database layout now. I'm
sure some of the fundamental changes I would like to see would require much
additional coding effort throughout OpenSER, which I shouldn't start asking
for until I'm able to help with coding.

I would be willing to share some of my views on the database structure, and to
help design an upgraded layout if any of the developers felt like it was
needed and/or important at this time.

---Mike