[Devel] 1.0.0 crash

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Mon Jan 30 14:51:50 CET 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 15:14, Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> > Klaus Darilion wrote:

> Why not having "ulimit -c unlimited" and PARAMS="-P $PIDFILE -u openser
> -g openser -w /tmp" in the default startup script? We would get lots
> more cordump to analyze.

I think the startup script should come in a form that is suitable for
using the proxy on a production platform, not for debugging.
I personally do not want to edit the startup script everytime I install
the proxy to remove options from it because they are meant for debugging
which I don't need, except on rare occasions when I can manually add them
for the moment until I fix the problem.

A better idea would be to include some configuration file from the startup
script and in that configuration file we can have various options
defined. something like:

DEFAULTS=/etc/defaults/openser
if [ -f $DEFAULTS ]; then
 . $DEFAULTS
fi

then we can have conditionals:

PARAMS="-P $PIDFILE -m $MEMORY -u $USER -g $GROUP"

if [ $DEBUG = "yes" ]; then
   ulimit -c unlimited
   PARAMS = "$PARAMS -w /tmp"
fi

This approach would also help to avoid the need to edit the startup script
to change things like amount of memory, user/group to run as, ...
Instead one would only have to edit the defaults file

P.S.
For a core file to be truly useful, the program should be compiled with
-O0 (i.e. no optimizations). Else precious information may not be
available to the debugger, so someone willing to get backtraces from
openser crashes has to do a bit more than just set the core limit size
and the directory where to write them.

--
Dan