[Devel] debian check_openser_config improvement

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Tue Dec 19 16:50:37 CET 2006

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 17:21, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> dan,
>
> only empty lines come out if i do as you suggested:
>
> 	out=$($DAEMON -c > /dev/null 2>&1)

It appears that a set of parentheses were removed in the above command at
some point. As it is it'll send all stdout/stderr to /dev/null, while the
purpose was to send only stdout to /dev/null and capture stderr in the
variable. So it should have read:

        out=$(($DAEMON -c > /dev/null) 2>&1)

Anyway below is my check function in case anything else has been changed.
The version below works as I use it myself:

check_openser_config ()
{
        # Check if openser configuration is valid before starting the
        # server
        set +e
        out=$(($DAEMON -c > /dev/null) 2>&1)
        retcode=$?
        set -e
        if [ "$retcode" != '0' ]; then
            echo "Not starting $DESC: invalid configuration file!"
            echo -e "\n$out\n"
            exit 1
        fi
}