[Devel] siptrace and dialog-awareness

Andreas Granig andreas.granig at inode.info
Fri Dec 15 11:38:17 CET 2006

Hi,

Regarding the siptrace module, I'd like to propose to extend it to be
dialog-aware for being really useful. This is because the typical
scenario (in my opinion) is to provision a user-preference to trace
messages from/to a specific user (because of some problem or whatever).
So if an INVITE hits the proxy, siptrace gets activated and logs the
transaction, which typically is INVITE, 1xx and finally 2xx. Since
in-dialog requests (ACK, re-INVITE, BYE) are loose-routed, there is
normally no usr_preferences lookup, and thus you are not able to
determine whether siptrace should be activated.

I guess it will not be that hard hooking into the dialog api and trace
in-dialog requests/replies too.

Any opinions on this?

Andy